A huge part of the problem here is the state of political discourse and partisan media. Republican opposition to the ACA certainly COULD have been rational, and smart, and focused on very real concerns that it would all fall apart if the young people who currently aren't insured choose to pay fines rather than buy… » 11/07/13 11:40pm 11/07/13 11:40pm

I listened intermittently to my town's scanner feed for quite a while on an iPhone app; it looks like the guy feeding it to broadcastify.com recently stopped, though, so now I'm looking for a way to replace that. I like to flip it on when I hear sirens, but it's also just kind of interesting as background noise. » 10/19/13 1:22pm 10/19/13 1:22pm

I bought a bunch of 100 and 60 watt incandescent bulbs a while ago. I'll buy some more in a little while if I can find any; if not, I'm pretty sure most of my fixtures can take a 3-way bulb, which I understand aren't being phased out; the rest of my stuff is currently halogen spots & floods, and I'll probably… » 6/23/13 4:09pm 6/23/13 4:09pm

There is a statute that says the special election must be held x days after the Governor announces that he is calling for a special election. While it's great he's not making us live with an appointee through January 3 2015, there's no reason he couldn't have waited until x days before the already scheduled general… » 6/06/13 6:04pm 6/06/13 6:04pm

I love everything about this story, but I've got to say that about 20% of me is bothered by the fact this took place on April 15, the suspect is a teenager, and as per the May 3 NYT story, he's STILL IN JAIL. The other 80% of me is pretty happy about that and figures maybe next time he won't be stealing anyone's… » 5/04/13 8:25pm 5/04/13 8:25pm